Monday, April 20, 2015

Twin Shock #3 -- 27-Weeks Along

Say hello to that big ol' belly!

Today I'm 27-weeks.  Although I'm over three-fourths of the way through a twin pregnancy, the possibility of ten or more weeks sounds like a lifetime!  At my 25-week appointment I was measuring at 38-weeks gestation for a normal, singleton pregnancy.  Um, yikes!  And I'm definitely feeling it, haha.  Oh my gosh, am I feeling it!  Who knew my body could stretch out like this?  It's insanity.

The dreaded belly itch has begun.  When I was pregnant with George, I spent the last three weeks with the itchiest belly in the world that HAD to be scratched, but it hurt like poo to scratch it.  It was fun times, let me tell you.  I basically bawled while I was scratching because it felt so good and yet hurt so bad at the same time.  Awkward.

Starting at 24-weeks, my appointments have been weekly.  I have ultrasounds every week in my doctor's office at Alta View, but recently I began having regular ultrasound appointments with the high-tech equipment with Maternal Fetal Medicine; these happen every four weeks.  These appointments are to measure the girls, check for consistent growth, measure fluid levels, and to basically make sure all of their innards are doing okay!

So far these girls are a dream.  Both appointments so far have been incredibly reassuring as the techs and the doctor have only said repeatedly how "perfect" everything is so far.  Perfect growth, perfect fluid levels, perfect placenta placement (nowhere near my c-section incision, which is seriously awesome news), perfect organs, perfect heartbeats--"perfect" is my favorite word to hear at these appointments, haha!

The appointments start out with a tech doing measurements and such, and then the doctor comes in to double check the health and well-being of the girls.  We've seen two different doctors and techs, all of which have been incredibly awesome.  This last week, at our second appointment at MFM, we had a doctor who was actually an identical twin.  One question I've had on my mind for a while was whether or not we could know which twin was going to be born first (then I could call them by their respective names rather than "Twin A" and "Twin B", haha), and the doctor said yes!  We now know that Sofia is on my left side (if you were facing towards me she'd be on your right), and Maren in on my right side (so, your left if you were looking at me).

We also learned that the twin that's referred to as "Twin A" is called the presenting twin.  This twin, after twenty weeks (which is when you get your first ultrasound and really get the twins labeled "A" and "B"), will be the firstborn no matter what way they come out.  She told us the story about how all growing up she had believed that if her sister hadn't been facing the wrong way, that she would've been the firstborn.  This is funny because Brad and his parents were made to believe the same thing--that if Ben hadn't been breech, then Brad would've been born first.  The doctor said that only once she became an OB did she learn that this was incorrect, that the presiding twin will always been first out, no matter the circumstances, which is why they are labeled "Twin A" throughout the last half of the pregnancy.  That was pretty cool to know!

Going back a few weeks, just after 22-weeks the pelvic pain I've been experiencing since before 10-weeks along had gotten even worse.  I seriously felt like I was holding a boulder in my crotch (horribly imagery, lo siento), it hurt that bad!  I wore my belly support band all day long and it helped manage it quite a bit, but once I took it off for a nap or bedtime the pain was awful.  I also couldn't sleep on my left side, it was literally suffocating; if I rolled to that side, I couldn't breathe.  It was so random.  It felt unbearable.  I spent a lot of time crying at night to Brad.  I didn't know how I was supposed to deal with the pain for the next 14-ish-weeks as I got larger and larger, which meant it'd only get invariably worse.

Around 25-weeks I realized that I didn't hurt as much.  I wasn't wearing my belly support band and wasn't in horrible pain.  That week I was back at MFM and it turned out that these girls, who have been happy snuggling together, both head down in my pelvis, had switched it up.  While Sofia was still head down, Maren had flipped head up.  And I felt WONDERFUL.  Hopefully Sofia doesn't miss her sister and flip head up as well.  My poor ribs.  And hopefully Maren is happy and stays where she is.

The same time that my pelvis pain chilled out I ended up catching a cold from George (who caught it from Brad's work, woops, poor kid).  Normally a cold is no big deal for me.  It's basically like having allergies, which I have like... all the time.  Yeah, I found out that colds are very different when you're pregnant.  As in much, much worse.  It started with a sore throat Friday morning and by that afternoon I was dying.  The same thing had happened to George two days prior, and I definitely sympathized with him.  It was awful.  It felt like the flu because my body felt like it was going to cave in on itself, but I knew that it wasn't just from general symptoms.  It took a whole Saturday and Sunday of sleeping, but by Monday I felt a LOT better.  I'm just grateful that the girls gave me a break on the pelvic pain, that would've sucked to not be able to sleep!

Overall things are going so much better than they were the first 22-weeks of this pregnancy.  I did throw up last week because of phlegm in my throat, but other than that things have been fairly straight forward.  I have a lot of food aversions to strong meat smells, especially deli meat, which bites the big one because my dad has been cutting fresh, thinly sliced meats all week.  I can eat the chicken, though, so that's be heavenly!  I craved corn dogs for a straight week.  I would eat like two or more a day.  It was magic.  Speaking of magic, I magically didn't gained any weight these last two appointments.  I'm waiting to step on the scale this Wednesday to find out I gained ten pounds or something, haha, but I'm hoping that it'll plateau a bit since I gained so much the first trimester.

In other random news, my parents have begun warming up their pool and I've been going out to check the temperature to see when Brad and George can start swimming again.  The random part is that I've figured out the smell of the pool house is for some reason extremely addicting for me.  Like, it's crack.  I could sit in there and huff it all day.  It smells so amazing.  I just want to go out and sniff it over and over again, it smells SO GOOD.  I've never had weird pregnancy symptoms like that before, so that's been fun!

Oh, and our last MFM appointment the doctor did a quick 3D ultrasound of the girls' faces and it was SO CUTE.  Maren was hiding most of the time, but we got really great shots of Sofia snuggled up against her placenta and it was DARLING.  We about died.  They both look so much like George, it was so incredibly cool to see them!  Sofia was measuring 1-pound, 15-ounces (so basically 2-pounds) and Maren weighed in at 2-pounds, 2-ounces.

No comments:

Post a Comment